Sunday, October 11, 2015

October Learning Fun

Strengthening Our Scissor Skills

IMG_3660IMG_3661IMG_3662
We do A LOT of scissor practice in Kindergarten. This week we got to practice cutting out circles. It can be tough for little hands to hold the paper and work scissors, turning it to only cut on the black line. We need to keep practicing this skill a lot more this year. Some kids have very well developed small motor skills, others would just rather rush and get it done, even if it comes out to be a tiny penny rather than the whole penny. Winking smile (What we are working on in the above picture). But by the end of the year, all the children should be able to cut pretty well and will be amazed at how far they have come this year.

Learning to Order Shapes Using Ordinal Positional Words

IMG_3663IMG_3664IMG_3665
IMG_3666
Rylee really does have shapes, but they are yellow and blend in with her work mat. Ha ha!
IMG_3667
They did a great job lining up their shapes and sharing what position they were in such as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc...

Working on Ordering Numbers Again, and Playing the Missing

Number Game with a Partner

IMG_3672IMG_3673IMG_3674IMG_3675IMG_3676IMG_3677
After practicing counting forward and backwards again, they each turned to their partner (peanut butter and jelly partners) and played the missing number game. One child hides their eyes, and the other one picks a number out the mixed up numbers that are between them. The first child now has to tell what number is missing.
IMG_3678IMG_3679IMG_3680
They love playing games with each other!! Smile

Practicing Letter Formation with Playdoh

IMG_3692IMG_3693IMG_3694

Our Caterpillar Turned into a Butterfly!!

 caterpiller I caught
One morning, before school I found this fat caterpillar out on the concrete, nowhere near any grass. I had never seen one like this, so I decided to take it in to my classroom, for my students to see. They loved it of course! One of my coworkers-our 5th/6th grade teacher, Mr Orvis, has a cool cage in his classroom with all kinds of insects inside so I gave it to him to see if it would spin a cocoon and turn into a butterfly.
IMG_3681IMG_3682
It did!! Yay! We were so excited when he brought it in for us to see. It had just come out of the chrysalis so it’s wings were still wet and not totally unfurled. *Note the wet marks on Mr. O’s shirt. My children were fascinated.  I love the expression on Rylee’s face!!
IMG_3683IMG_3684
I was really trying to get the butterfly and wish now I had take more pictures of the kids faces. What a beautiful creation God has given us!!
Mr. O’s class let it warm it’s wings up under a light and then let it go.
What a great way to end our week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know if you stopped by our blog. We welcome your comments.