I couldn’t resist that opening song. It is a most irritating song I know, but it came to my mind this week when I took peanuts in to my class to show them what Mr. George Washington Carver used to make over 300 items with. I thought perhaps that was a song that someone in Alabama (maybe even my hometown or family) had made up. But no, even my husband who is from Ohio was familiar with it. I Googled it and yes, it is a real song, though I can’t remember who wrote it. There are MANY different verses and versions of it, some are terrible. But that really has nothing to do with what we learned in Kindergarten this week. (sorry about that)
As I said, I took peanuts and a sweet potato in for us to look at while we learned about Mr. Carver. I was surprised, most of the kids knew what a sweet potato was. They weren’t really sure what the difference is between a sweet potato and a white potato though. Most of them said “One is sweet!” Ha! Ha!
They were most excited about the peanuts. I told them they could eat them if they wanted to. I passed them out and before I could stop them they were smashing them with anything they could get their hands on and we had a pretty big mess on the floor. Oh well, it vacuumed up pretty quickly. Most of the children in my class love peanuts-everybody loved smashing the shells to get the nuts out.
After seeing the mess they were making, they quickly grabbed tissues to put down. The funny thing was though when they were done, they picked up the tissues and dumped the crumbs, shells and leftover nuts on the carpet. J
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please let us know if you stopped by our blog. We welcome your comments.